[sdiy] IR Reverb

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Feb 16 00:52:37 CET 2018

What he said - PLUS - there’s another factor to consider: Humans subconsciously move around when listening in order to get the best sound. If you’ve cooked in a single IR, then there’s no way for the listener to adjust their head to automatically find the best response. I’m not just making this up - psychoacoustics researchers have observed listeners making subtle head movements, both when listening to voice and when listening to “music” - so it’s something we do without thinking.

Nothing against Impulse Response systems or Convolution, but the fact that it’s perfect (mathematically) doesn’t mean that it’s perfect (in terms of a listening experience in every situation).

Brian