[sdiy] need tech help fixing a bunch of DIY disasters gone wrong [and some Korg stuff too]

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Feb 16 00:48:15 CET 2018

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can’t be both cheap and lazy (at least not successfully).

The only reason DIY costs less than manufactured products is because you donate your own labor for free, i.e., without paying yourself for your (unskilled) labor. These pieces that you want to save are double DIY - the first DIY attempt failed and now you want to DIY them a second time. There’s no way that’s going to be cheap, unless you find someone willing to donate their DIY time to your collection, and if you find that person you’re probably not going to see a very good success rate. The most likely outcome is that your failure to get it right on the first DIY attempt almost guarantees that these items will be more expensive than either professionally manufactured or normal get-it-right-the-first-time DIY.

As someone who has built many DIY designs as well as repaired many manufactured products, I can say that the Worst Hell on Earth is piecing together someone else’s DIY failure. You might be a very lucky person who can find someone willing to go through this particular Hell, but your unwillingness to pay more than $100 per item means that you’re going to have to be extraordinarily lucky.

Then there’s the fact that you’re in NYC, and I don’t see how you’re going to find cheap skilled labor anywhere near there.

Don’t get me wrong, I wish you the best of luck bringing these poor fellas to life. I’m just being honest by admitting that I think you’re going to need boatloads of luck (or ca$h). In other words, I’m not complaining that you asked. :-)

Brian

p.s. If you can find someone who has built one or more of your projects several times on their own, then maybe they could resurrect yours without too much effort. I mean, theoretically, there’s someone on the planet who can build these kits in their sleep. But here’s the Catch-22: if they’ve got so much experience building these things, then their hourly rate is undoubtedly going to be higher to reflect the specialized skill, and will surely blow your $100/item concerns.