[sdiy] IR Reverb

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Thu Feb 15 08:42:49 CET 2018

(note: laughter is understandable and probably mandatory)

So I just did a cannonball into the murky waters of impulse response
reverb. My tenuous grasp of DSP coupled with my sketchy math skills is
making this, well, interesting. So far I have acquainted myself with
linear convolution, which looks suspiciously like an FIR. Since it says
"impulse response" on the box, that seemed to make sense. But then I
stepped back and tried to imagine a reverb system as I understand it and
got confused.

Reverbs have two things going on: time delay and filtering. The time
component gives the reverb time and overall thickness of the reverb,
while the filtering can make the effect warmer or colder (yes,
oversimplified). So I am guessing the impulse response is a room
characterization used to color a reverb. However that seems incomplete.
Unless the impulse response is really long or is sets of impulse

I suspect that gurgling sound is me in over my head.

--
--Tim Ressel
Circuit Abbey
timr at circuitabbey.com