[sdiy] top soldering through hole

Ove Ridé nitro2k01 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:57:53 CET 2018

On 14 February 2018 at 18:54,  <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Ove Ridé wrote:
>> What makes you think a DIP chip couldn't handle being soldered from
>> the top from a thermal point of view?
>
> The chip might be able to handle it thermally, but I usually socket DIPs
> and the sockets would be difficult to solder from the top just because of
> their physical design.

Oh yeah, that might be a valid reason. But on that note, there are
different types of sockets. Apart from the cheaper ones, there are
turned pin sockets where each pin consists of a (probably milled)
solid part with a hole and a taper to a thinner pin. Picture linked
below. Those will solder fine from the top with a little effort and a
think tip. I discovered this type when I had made a homemade double
sided board and was expecting to use component leads as through-hole
connections. Nowadays, I mostly just don't bother with sockets. It's
not often that I've gotten a reason to either replace or reuse a chip
anyway.

https://media.rs-online.com/t_large/F0813115-01.jpg

--
/Ove

Blog: <http://blog.gg8.se/>

"Here is Evergreen City. Evergreen is the color of green forever."