[sdiy] top soldering through hole

Quincas Moreira quincas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 16:59:26 CET 2018

I use a local brand, Steren, 60/40
http://www.steren.com.mx/rollo-de-100-gramos-de-soldadura-con-aleacion-estano-plomo-60-40.html

Yeah I guess it's not no clean, just regular leaded. I just never felt like
enough flux got on the boards to warrant cleaning. I probably should
though, if it's corrosive in the long run. I've only been doing this for 7
years, maybe I'll find out in 20 that I should have been cleaning all along!

What should I use to clean then?

Thanks Pete

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Pete Hartman <pete.hartman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What type of solder are you using?  Brand and model?
>
> I use Kester 331 water soluble flux solder for early components (stuff
> that can get wet), and it comes off the board entirely with a brush (nylon
> bristles, like a really big toothbrush) and warm/hot water.  Thing about it
> is, if I were using it on the top and it were getting under components it
> would take more like an ultrasonic bath to clean and get flux out from
> under resistors and things, and if you don't clean it, the stuff is
> corrosive in the longer run.
>
> I finish up for things that can't get wet (pots etc) with Kester 245
> no-clean.  It does leave some residue, but the main point is that it's not
> meant to be cleaned off normally, and it doesn't leave enough to look like
> some of the messes I've seen.  I also use it for any top solder touch ups.
>
> I've seen some really nasty work come across my workbench for repair,
> stuff with 331 flux still on it after who knows how long, stuff with
> ancient rosin flux with the black and brown lava flows all over it.
>
> I figure if you're not using no-clean, you'd know it :)
>
> Pete
>

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Quincas Moreira <quincas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I’ve never cleaned a board, ever... Maybe I’m using no clean solder and
>> didn’t even know it, I just never felt the need. My builds look clean
>> enough to me. Am I trippin’?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Feb 14, 2018, at 07:33, Pete Hartman <pete.hartman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 7:25 AM, Mattias Rickardsson <mr at analogue.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Top side is much simpler, I'll never go back - but probably a bit
>>> trickier to get clean from flux etc?
>>>

>>  I think this is the main reason I still primarily bottom solder, but I
>> check my joints and if I have ones that didn't wick up to the top I'll
>> touch them up with no-clean.
>>
>> Pete

Quincas Moreira
Test Pilot at VBrazil Modular