[sdiy] top soldering through hole

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:59:10 CET 2018

What type of solder are you using?  Brand and model?

I use Kester 331 water soluble flux solder for early components (stuff that
can get wet), and it comes off the board entirely with a brush (nylon
bristles, like a really big toothbrush) and warm/hot water.  Thing about it
is, if I were using it on the top and it were getting under components it
would take more like an ultrasonic bath to clean and get flux out from
under resistors and things, and if you don't clean it, the stuff is
corrosive in the longer run.

I finish up for things that can't get wet (pots etc) with Kester 245
no-clean.  It does leave some residue, but the main point is that it's not
meant to be cleaned off normally, and it doesn't leave enough to look like
some of the messes I've seen.  I also use it for any top solder touch ups.

I've seen some really nasty work come across my workbench for repair, stuff
with 331 flux still on it after who knows how long, stuff with ancient
rosin flux with the black and brown lava flows all over it.

I figure if you're not using no-clean, you'd know it :)

Pete