[sdiy] SSI2164

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Wed Feb 14 15:05:31 CET 2018

On 14 February 2018 at 00:59, electronicpresskit <
electronicpresskit at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 14, 2018, at 12:25 AM, Neil Johnson <neil.johnson71 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I saw their CEO claim this in a NAMM video and the datasheet claims it,
> but
> >> then specs .025% THD which is .005% worse than the ssm2164 and V2164. I
> also
> >> compared a few of the graphs to see if there was a particular context in
> >> which it was improved but I did not find one.
> >>
> >> That has me wondering how it works!
> >
> > And you believe the ADI datasheet because.....?
> >
> > See if you can make sense of Figure 6 in the ADI datasheet.
>
> So we’ve got datasheet errors from both manufacturers right?

All tree manufacturers.
ADI happened to put a 20-20k axis in their diagram, and Coolaudio just
copied all the diagrams including the obvious error... :-)

> The reason I asked the question is because I don’t know what to believe.

Understandable. But the THD curves differs a lot from unit to unit, so I
wouldn't compare those numbers very much. I'm not even sure how I would
choose a number to publish, are there any engineering "rules" for this or
is it up to the marketing departments? :-)
Anyway, the THD statistics I've seen so far from SSI (not in the datasheet)
indicate that most SSI chips are indeed performing better in this regard
than most SSM and V chips. So far I have found exactly zero reasons to keep
using the Coolaudio part.

/mr