[sdiy] STM and TruStudio

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:23:24 CET 2018

Renesas has recently (a few years ago) started selling Arm Cortex M
chips, and as I heard at a recent seminar on these, you can download a
free, fully functioning IAR dev system that's solely for the  Renesas
chips.

I suppose you could redo a bunch of the support code for another
maker's ARM Cortex M chips, but 1. that would be a lot of work, and 2.
it goes totally against the license for these things.

I've written a series of equates for various registers and I/O ports
for smaller parts (68HC11) before writing much of the "real" code
because I saw where I had a need for it, but that was almost 30 years
ago when software (assembler!) vendors didn't always include such
things. These Cortex M things are one or two orders of magnitude
bigger as far as the number of peripherals and number of I/O registers
per peripheral.

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/renesas-offers-cortex-m4-mcus-with-synergy-rtos-and-stacks-2015-10/