[sdiy] Patchable polyphonic synth with FM or AM transmission idea

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Dec 31 08:01:04 CET 2018

To be fair, I’m not counting any simple switch as digital, because there’s no control signal in the broadest examples within that category. Switches were used in electronics long before the concept of digital signals was envisioned.

A Gate, however, is a signal that’s separate from the physical switches, and it’s a digital signal. In fact, a Gate signal may come from a switch (keyboard), or it may come from some other source such as a sequencer, a clock, or some other module. In that sense, Gate is a pure digital signal, as pure as any definition of digital could be.

The Moog S-Trigger is a little difficult to categorize, however, because it is basically equivalent to a switch closure. I’m not sure that it would be valid to count S-Trigger as a digital “signal,” per se. You’d have to get into the realm of current loop signaling before you could begin to consider S-Trigger as a digital signal, and even still it would be an outlier.

Brian Willoughby