[sdiy] Why do LCDs die?

Tony K weplar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 04:34:07 CET 2018

Hi Tim, I can't answer your question as to why lcds die, as you put it, but I have several older units that are getting harder to read, such as the Lexicon MRC, and Korg Wavestation A/D rack( now sold partly for aformentioned display issues) . I have a contrast control on the former unit but at some point ai will have to switch to a modern OLED? , or VFD ( Noritake , old school solution) .

I think MTG has something about it on his site , at least the MRC.  I have been putting this off. Come to think of it the Novation X-Station contrast is getting weaker as time goes on, but that one is meant to be on all yhe time - I use it as my audio interface. So it's a safe bet to say these displays do have a MTBF. The old Hitachi 16x2 is not a problem to get lcd replacements ( ie MMT-8 etc.) I know Noritake VFDa make drop in replacements for those, or used to anyway. But then there is the high voltage filament voltage to worry about and the fragility.

Anyway I love those VFD's on the Xpander.

Tony K