[sdiy] Patchable polyphonic synth with FM or AM transmission idea

Roman modular at go2.pl
Sun Dec 30 13:44:53 CET 2018

Telephony was only one real-life example of this technology being used. BTW, it was AM. Or SSB to be precise.  You talk FM broadcast. Well, as many has pointed already, what you hear on the radio is not $12 sinfgle chip, but a ton of advanced digital stuff on both ends. And besides, analog FM radio is fading out already, as digital broadcast is taking over because you can squeeze more channels in the same area with less cost and higher audio quality.  One may say there are FM radio transmitters and receivers available on Ali for $2 (just guessing price range). But do they provide quality expected in a modular? And is it possible to combine at least 2 of them on the same medium, even if they alow to be trimmed 1MHz apart?   You wanted multichannel FM over regular $0.10 patchcord - do it. You asked for solutions, instead got a bunch of voices saying it's a wrong way. Too bad. Do your own R&D and proove us wrong. Then patent it and get rich.   One more thought about optical fibre: how about using wavelength multiplication over single fiber? You can modulate each light source separately then mix them in optical mixer to put in one singlemode fiber, then split at the receiver so each wavelenght is output to its own receiver like if it was on separate fiber. The trouble is, equipment to do this is at the price range of big vintage modular. At least it was 10 years ago. And yes, all high thruput transmission in optical fiber IS analog. I mean modern stuff, not ancient RZ/NRZ.   Roman   Dnia 28 grudnia 2018 23:10 cheater00 cheater00 <cheater00 at gmail.com> napisał(a):  I don't know Roman, I can receive more than 16 FM stations over the  air and they're all pretty listenable and have more than 3.4 kHz  bandwidth.   On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Roman Sowa <modular at go2.pl> wrote:   Frequency domain multiplexing was used long time ago in telephony.  How nice and easy solution this was can be simply put in two questions:  - why nobody remembers that?  - why it was abandonned so quickly?   I mean you have ready to use multichannel digital standards and  multichannel ADc and DACs, why bother using an ancient idea that was so  troublesome to manage that even 0.3-3.4kHz bandwith audio was a challenge.  And if you want full analog, I'd go with multipin connectors, there are  lots to choose from. OK expensive patch cable then, but still a tiny  fraction of the price of any 16-voice module.   Polysynths are hardwired for a reason.   Roman