[sdiy] Patchable polyphonic synth with FM or AM transmission idea

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Dec 29 03:05:56 CET 2018

Fiber-optic cable will attenuate signals significantly in proportion to bending of the cable, among other causes. That’s why digital signals are used, since an attenuated “1" is still distinct from a “0.” This sort of thing doesn’t happen with copper cables.

I doubt that you could get analog signals to work properly over fiber without using frequency modulation to remove the amplitude sensitivity.

On Dec 28, 2018, at 5:51 PM, Ben Lincoln <blincoln at eventualdecline.com> wrote:
> You could, but is there any hardware that does that, or would it involve designing and building custom fiber-optic communication circuitry?
>
> Even if one did that, it seems like it would still involve appreciable losses bouncing between electrical analogue and optical analogue at every patch point, but that's not my area of expertise, so I could be wrong.
>
> On 28 December 2018 17:16:33 GMT-08:00, Joel B <onephatcat at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Not sure why you couldn’t send analog signals via fiber - probably use the wave angle to multiplex over the same cable just like networking signals do, and convert the amplitude or frequency back to an electrical signal.
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Ben Lincoln <blincoln at eventualdecline.com> wrote:
>>> Your original post included a suggestion of using fiber-optic connections, which - unless I'm greatly mistaken - inherently means converting between analogue and digital at every patch point.
>>>
>>> Maybe it would make more sense, and maybe you'd get answers you were happier with, if you explicitly stated what you were hoping to end up with. A working analogue modular polysynth that you built yourself? A design to have someone else build? A theoretical design that you want to patent and hope to license? Etc.

I’ve you’re already considered all of the options, why are you asking questions? It’s not very convincing when you claim to know everything about an aspect of the problem, but still need help.