[sdiy] Caution with DIY MIDI cabling

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 05:33:45 CET 2018

I recall the original MIDI cable spec (because I made my own cables
back then), it used ONLY the two signal wires, supposedly twisted in
the cable, with the idea that "it's a current loop, it doesn't need a
shield." It worked, but perhaps enough people had enough interference
to audio cables from their MIDI cables that the shield thing was added
to the spec. The original MIDI spec was fully isolated by the
optocoupler on the input. If the cable needs a shield it can be
telescoped (as in connected to ground, NOT one of the two MIDI
signals, at either end of the cable but NOT both).