[sdiy] rca female to male adaptor source?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Dec 26 22:24:28 CET 2018

My standard preference is to build a custom cable and put the attenuating resistors at one end. I always build cables with plugs that have quality, metal, screw-on shields, and so that usually provides enough space for a couple of metal film (not metal oxide) resistors. Throw in some tiny diameter heat shrink tubing, and you have a very reliable construction.

Admittedly, the last time I did this was an adaptor cable from RCA to TRS, so I had a bit more room to work in, but I believe that RCA to RCA would still be feasible despite the small dimensions.

Another advantage of this approach, besides the cost savings and the ability to control quality to your custom standards, is that the cable fits anywhere a normal cable would fit. You don’t have to worry about the extra strain of an inline adaptor that might get caught or might be too large to fit in the tight spacing of rack mount back panels. In fact, I have an old power amplifier with RCA inputs where the RCA jack is bent from a time when I used those inline adaptors and the cable got caught and severely torqued. Ever since then, I’ve shunned those barrel adaptors!

Brian Willoughby