[sdiy] Patchable polyphonic synth with FM or AM transmission idea

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Dec 26 21:58:55 CET 2018

Bumping up from DB9 to 13-pin would allow such a design to be compatible with either the Akai S900 sampler to VX90/AX73 (6-voice) or the popular Roland synth guitar (technically 6-string, but with 7 audio channels). Unfortunately, despite sharing the 13-pin connector, the Akai and Roland cables are not compatible, because they put the voices on different pins. Also, another obvious disadvantage is that the 13-pin jacks and plugs are large.

Then again, DB9 (DE-9) is not exactly “small” either. Unless you were talking about mini-DIN size connectors, where you can find 10-pin versions that fit in the 9.5 mm plug body.

Whether you want to standardize on 6-voice, 7-voice, or 8-voice would be an interesting choice.

As for cheater’s comment that analog switch ICs are terrible - wait until you try frequency domain multiplexing! It’s going to be way more of a design challenge to get good quality out of frequency domain multiplexing - unless you’re happy with telephone quality audio - than getting analog switches to work. There are some very high-end analog audio devices that use analog switch ICs, but they all use the more expensive chips that aren’t exactly replacements for the standard analog switch ICs found in vintage analog synths. These newer chips have expanded voltage ranges and much lower resistance, as Mr. Levy alluded. Intersil and Siliconix were the original high-end analog switch companies, and now Renasas and Vishay seem to share that market, having purchased the former leading companies, respectively.

Brian Willoughby