[sdiy] Help, I'm Desperate! (Charge Injection with DG408)

Martin Klang mars at pingdynasty.com
Wed Dec 12 14:42:29 CET 2018

I understand you don't do microcontrollers David, but some of us are
less fussy!

This is something I'm planning to prototype:

8 input channels going into two analogue switches, into two VCAs, with
switches and VCAs controlled by an MCU. The MCU decides to switch an
input only when the corresponding VCA is at -inf (ie when the other VCA
is fully on).

Using an MCU means it's easy to do a bunch of things that would be very
hard with analogue comparators:

- configurable cross-fade slopes using lookup tables

- cross-fade to start function (let the last input be crossfaded back to
the first one so that a ramp input will produce a continuous, circular scan)

- adjustable range of active inputs

- LEDs to show which inputs are active and audible

- different modes: tracking, triggered, cycling

I was going to use two VCAs of a V2164 for the cross fading between the
two multiplexed inputs. Driven by two 12bit DACs, controlled by CV read
by a 12bit ADC. I think I'll be able to run both ADC and DAC at a pretty
high rate, to achieve something like 16x oversampling at audio rate,
which should give performance / dynamic range nearer to 16 bits.

The second two VCAs on the 2164 I was going to use to add a regular VCA
with adjustable linearisation. With the input normalled to +10V and CV
to the output from the scanner, this would let you control the
'exponentiality' of the output. Alternatively you could use the scanner
in triggered mode as an 8-stage envelope and VCA.

Martin