[sdiy] Help, I'm Desperate! (Charge Injection with DG408)

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Fri Dec 7 21:33:17 CET 2018

Hello Roman,

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.  I do appreciate them.

I actually have some 3914s, which I bought for some purpose which I now
can't remember.

As far as the reference voltage, it would have to be larger than 5V (about
6.25V, I think), which means that I would have to amplify my 5V reference
with another opamp, because I wouldn't take it straight from the rail.  I
already have a buffered 5V reference which I am using all over the board, so
it was just easier to use that.

At the end of the day, the two 339s take up about the same space as the 3914
(for which I have no sockets on hand), and the only real inconvenience is
that they require 8 resistors for the external voltage ladder, which would
be internal to the 3914, but they don't require any other opamps or
resistors.  Hence, the 3914 really represented no added convenience here.
It might have saved me 4 or 5 resistors, but cost me another TL072, and I
would have had to jerry-rig a socket.

The DG444 is an inappropriate chip for my circuit.  I need two 8-channel
multiplexers.  The DG407 would have been ideal, but I only had DG408s, so I
used two of those.  As far as the reverse logic, this is no big deal, since
the binary sequences are exactly backwards.  All I would have had to do was
to reverse the polarity of my CV, or just re-number the inputs in reverse
order.

In any case, the layout is done, and I'm just about to go up to the printer
and make the board.

Cheers!
Dave