[sdiy] Outputs grounded! Re: SSI2164 datasheet updated

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sun Aug 12 20:15:16 CEST 2018

And another thing:

What I believe Neil is advocating is this:

Connect up an unused 2164 VCA as if it were in use, but feed it zero input
voltage and replace the output virtual ground with actual ground.

So, here's what I'm gonna do from now on:

1) 30k (or 20k or whatever) input resistor, grounded.

2) Output grounded.

3) VC pin unconnected (because it's already grounded).

4) I guess I'll throw on the additional 500k/560pF stability network (I'm
still talking about V2164, cuz I have a pile of them).

This will add pennies per module to the cost, and involve some very minor
layout changes (not really in my own builds because I always lay out the
unconnected VCA for a potential connection, presuming that I figure out a
use for it at some later date).

I don't expect to notice any difference in behaviour, but I'm willing to
change my approach in order to do the right thing.

So please stop dissing each other.  It's not behaviour becoming of synth DIY
enthusiasts.