[sdiy] Upgrading KiCad to v5.x

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:51:35 CEST 2018

I'm using a mid-2012 macbook pro 13 inch (with an outboard 21" monitor, no
way I'd want to run this on the tiny native screen).  2.5GHz core i5, 16GB
1600MHz DDR3 memory and a spinning hard drive (not an SSD, though I believe
it may be a hybrid).

I have had times when it was enough laggy to notice, but the only time it's
really bad is if I have the walk around interactive router enabled and it's
doing something stupid (sometimes if I accidentally cross over a trace it
tries to route the long way round back to that point on the other side of
the trace).  I do have one of the nightlies from a couple months back --
was upgrading to test whether it solved a scripting shell problem with a
rather large board I was working on, and it did.  It's
5.0.0-rc2-24-g81af2db.

I'd suspect the main difference between windows & linux in that case is
display driver optimizations.....  I don't recall having any particular
issues with my macs (this is the second one I've been running KiCad on).

Thanks

Pete