[sdiy] Amplifying Pulse (Slightly OT)

Martin Klang mars at pingdynasty.com
Fri Aug 10 11:54:29 CEST 2018

If you really want to listen to your pulse then try Marco Donnarumma's
Xth Sense:

https://marcodonnarumma.com/works/xth-sense/

The sound it can produce is very rich, probably not what you want if
you're just after a click track.

If you'd rather pick up the electrical signals directly from your
muscles, including the heart, then you need an ECG / electrocardiogram,
or EMG / electromyogram like the Myo or Bitalino. Or EEG /
electroencephalogram for your brain. The signals are in the form of
pulse trains up to around 200Hz.

ECG : 0.05 – 150Hz
EEG : 0.05 – 70Hz
EMG : 7Hz – 20Hz

With dry electrodes you'll pick up signals in this range:

ECG : < +/- 2.5mV
EEG : +/- 10uV to 100uV
EMG : +/-50uV to 30mV

The electrodes will also have a variable DC offset up to +/- 300mV or
so, which makes it all the more challenging to capture a good signal.

Martin