[sdiy] FPGA Madness? (Was: NCO Jitter)

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Aug 6 02:49:44 CEST 2018

If you’re willing to consider building everything on an FPGA, then I suggest that you should definitely consider a DSP. You’ll get more bang for your buck with a DSP - unless you literally pay for an FPGA that has full DSP slices in it - and it will be easier to work in an instruction set that has been optimized for decades for exactly the kind of thing you’re doing.

Top contenders would be the TMS320, especially the C5000 or C6000 series, and the SHARC.

I addition to the math support and large accumulators, you’ll also get timer peripherals and serial ports that support digital audio connections to multi-channel DACs.

I’ve done some complex designs, and using a DSP is basically as flexible as an FPGA without the overhead of creating or finding and adapting the various IP blocks. You’ll also have the benefit that there won’t be as much wasted power.

Brian