[sdiy] Paralleling lots of ADC inputs

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Apr 30 21:49:54 CEST 2018

On Monday, April 30, 2018 5:14:51 PM CEST Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> So - I need to tie together several ADC inputs. Can I just tie them
> together? Should I drive the tied-together-inputs with an op-amp follower
> or something to make sure I’ve got a nice low impedance output? Or do the
> inputs themselves need buffers in front of them (e.g. tied-together-signal
> -> opamp buffer -> ADC input). Has anyone tried anything like this?

The datasheet should have some details what kind of signal conditioning the
particular ADC is expecting, but it's usually a bad idea to just tie together
multiple ADC inputs unless you can make sure they don't sample at the same
time.  Most ADC inputs present a time-dependent impedance that can be quite
low at the sampling point.  Also if capacitive sampling is used (very likely
these days), the paralleled input capacitances will influence each other and
degrade the ADC performance significantly.  At the minimum and only if your
actual source is already reasonably low-impedance I'd put an isolation network
in front of each input (RC lowpass is the most simple one).  An actual buffer
amplifier is better, but you might need an auto-zero buffer for your
application to get rid of offset voltages.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: