[sdiy] Paralleling lots of ADC inputs

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 18:11:30 CEST 2018

The ADC inputs are theoretically high-impedance so they don't need any
particular buffering...

_However_  Each ADC does draw a little bit of current when it's internal
sample-and-hold capacitor is connected to take a measure of the input
voltage.  That's why they usually suggest that the source impedance for
the ADC is something low.  I usually get around this by driving ADC
inputs via a passive low-pass RC filter, where the output capacitor of
this RC filter also provides enough local stored charge that the bite
taken out by the ADC's comparatively tiny sampling capacitor is very
small.

So the passive RC lowpass filter serves three purposes:

1. It provides some (or all) of the anti-alias filtering for the ADC
2. It provides a nice low impedance to the ADC's sample-and-hold
circuit.
3. The resistive part of the filter limits current flow into the ADC if
the circuit's analogue input is over-driven.

Of course you can beef up the anti-alias filtering with a more
aggressive (higher order) active filter like MFB or Sallen-key if the
particular application demands it, but I still usually make the last
stage passive where it feeds the ADC.

-Richie,