[sdiy] Parts going out of module panel

Julian elfenjunge at gmx.net
Mon Apr 30 09:30:45 CEST 2018

Am 30.04.2018 um 09:09 schrieb rsdio at audiobanshee.com:
> On Apr 29, 2018, at 10:54 PM, Julian <elfenjunge at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 29.04.2018 um 23:33 schrieb Bartek Osiński:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I'm doing my first eurorack module for training purposes and I'd like it to be a single PCB mounted to panel. The problem I have is that distributors like Mouser, Farnell or TME seem to be lacking vertical mono mini jack connectors. Only Mouser has stuff like
>>> ACJM-MV35-2, but I'm guessing having panel 24mm above PCB level is too tall.
>> 24mm is too tall. Most people use 10mm.
> Can you explain why 24mm is too tall? Can you give some specific examples?

I use the NV jacks myself, which are 13mm high. I chose them because I
needed the switch on the GND pin and because I really like their feel.
But it was a major hassle to find other matching parts, especially when
it comes to buttons and switches.
Most tactile with caps I like are designed for 10mm panel space,
sometimes even less. I spent weeks to find a supplier for slide switches
that are tall enough to fit through the panel.

For 24mm the only option I could think of would be either panel mounted
components with wires(yuck!)
Or can you point out a single vertical PCB mounted jack that is 24mm
high? A threaded pot with a threading long enough?
I mean sure it is possible with a bit of fiddling, but it is far from
elegant.

Best,
Julian