[sdiy] PCB Panels

John P Shea info at extrinia.com
Wed Apr 25 01:59:11 CEST 2018

Got some boards back from Elecrow recently:

https://www.elecrow.com/pcb-manufacturing.html

including some proto panels on standard (not matte) black FR-4 and white
silkscreen, lead free HASL.

Results were very good in terms of tolerance and silkscreen which had very
fine lines (BMP imported @ 1600dpi).

Some minor scratches on some, and 1 of 7 had “blobby” white fill (right
shape but not 100% white).

Not retail quality but more than acceptable for protos.

Good comms, prompt fab and delivery to Brisbane, Australia, will definitely
use them for my next batch.

Price was great too!

Regards,
JPS

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 at 9:00 am, Sarah Thompson <plodger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've done it. It works pretty well. You have to be mindful of stiffness,
> but that depends a lot on what you have on the back bolted through it.
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Pete Hartman <pete.hartman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I did a couple runs of aluminum PCB material with All PCB (allpcb.com).
>> For prototyping, good enough, but the tolerances were sloppy.  In one case
>> I had a bit shaved off the last inch or so of one side -- enough that you'd
>> see a noticeable gap with two panels next to each other.  In the other
>> case, the silkscreen was smeary.  In both cases, the mounting holes were
>> kinda sloppy too.
>>
>> I was putting silkscreen on the aluminum side (back side), perhaps going
>> onto the mask side it would be better, but the sloppy holes and other
>> tolerances are such that I don't think I'm going to do any real runs like
>> this.
>>
>> I've also done one run of regular PCB material panels with OSH, but
>> they're not someone I'd do bulk orders with due to cost.  The results were
>> very nice (though purple).
>>
>> Pete
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Chris McDowell <declareupdate at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone here tried doing panels with PCBs? I've had metalphoto screw
>>> up enough orders that I'm ready to try something else! They're not
>>> -terrible- but they can't guarantee a tight tolerance and it always bugs me
>>> at least, drives me nuts at the most.
>>>
>>> If you've given it a shot, where has it worked out for you?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris