[sdiy] PCB Panels

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Wed Apr 25 00:52:19 CEST 2018

I have, and its a mixed bag. The biggest issue is the silkscreen process
for PCBs is meant to provide nomenclature and is not super high quality.
If you're just doing text and aren't too picky and find a decent board
house then its fine. But if you try to flood half the board with white
space chances are you'll see some blemishes.

I use Eagle and importing BMPs is pretty easy once you figure it all
out. getting the artwork to export from your graphics tool and hold on
to the aspect ratio can be a challenge. Another challenge is resolution
in the silk screen process. If your lines are too fine then they may not
show up on the board. I saw one board house completely blank the
silkscreen because the lines were too fine.

There are options besides MPC. You can make metal panels and have then
powder coated and silk screened. You can laser etch the panels and fill
the etched areas with paint. I heard a rumor that you can get metal
panels in China.

--tr