[sdiy] SIP filter modules coming

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Apr 23 22:17:03 CEST 2018

> On 23 Apr 2018, at 17:25, Jay Schwichtenberg <jschwich53 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> With a CA3280 clone for filters and 2164s for VCAs I don't see much point in having a quad 13700 they aren't that great of a chip.

I think the point of a quad 13700 is OTA filters, basically. There are several highly thought of Roland filter designs that are basically a quad OTA. By varying the components around the OTA to get a different balance of S/N versus distortion, you get different filter characters. The OTAs themselves didn’t vary that much, compared to the difference +/-10mV against +/-50mV signal level makes.

Admittedly, an expo convertor with nice matching to control them on the same chip would have been nice…and maybe a VCA for resonance control too?! But then I’m talking about a proper synth chip like the AS3320, and they’ve already done that. Even Roland built their Filter+VCA modules out of separate parts on a little PCB.

I don’t care either way. I’m just jumping up and down with excitement at all this new stuff that’s suddenly appearing! I’ve been waiting thirty years for this! Woo hoo!

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY