[sdiy] dsPIC UART for multi-processor comms

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 20:14:08 CEST 2018

Interesting.  If the waveform shape doesn't look messed up, but the level is
just getting pulled down, then either...

1. The master UART's Tx output isn't driving as stiffly as it should be.

...or...

2. One or more of the slave UART's Rx inputs isn't as high-impedance as it
should be.

I'd be inclined to test the UART output just driving into a potential
divider of say 4k7 resistors across the 3V3 supply, to make sure that it is
able to pull this mid-point voltage down to nearly 0v and pull it up to 3V3
to signal binary 0 and 1 bits correctly.  It shouldn't have any trouble
doing that.  If it fails, then i'd try another device.

Then I'd try programming all of the slave dsPICs to just tri-state whatever
pin you're using by setting it as a digital GPIO input.  Connect them all up
and see if that works okay without pulling the serial bus down.  If that
fails, then one of the slave chips sounds like it has a leaky input, and i'd
try another device.

Finally try the peripheral pin select stuff to configure the input pin as
UART Rx.  Don't forget that you need to configure your chosen pin as both an
*INPUT* via the TRIS register, and also for *UART1 Rx* using the RPINR
registers from what I remember.  Maybe you selected it to be UART1 Rx using
the pin select register, but configured the pin as an output using TRIS ?
That might cause contention over the logic state of what you thought was
going to be just an input?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

-Richie,