[sdiy] Fixing an roland R5

Steve Lenham steve at bendentech.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 13:21:57 CEST 2018

On 09/04/2018 11:59, Florian Anwander wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 09.04.2018 um 12:11 schrieb Adam Inglis:
>> As last resort I guess I’d use point-to-point wiring
>
> There is no point-to-point wiring. The wire leads to a switchmatrix
> which is achieved in the foil.
>
> I had the same problem with my Chroma Polaris. I wasted weeks on trying
> to resolder it or to repair it with conducting lacquer. The mechanical
> stress is always much bigger than anything electrical useful (solder /
> lacquer) could stand. The foil will continue to crack.

It is certainly a challenging thing to repair. As Florian says, there is
no point trying to repair the crack directly since the stress is too
high there.

If replacement of the whole sheet isn't an option, I would suggest very
carefully exposing the conductor at a point on each side of the crack
where the sheet is not required to bend. You may need to move quite some
distance from the crack to find a suitable area, but it doesn't matter.
Then attach a piece of thin Kynar-covered wire between these points
using conductive epoxy adhesive (Google for it). Do not even think about
going anywhere near it with a soldering iron! Make the glued joint as
long as possible to maximise strength.

Hope this helps - good luck with your repair.

Cheers,

Steve L.
Benden Sound Technology