[sdiy] Continuously variable waveshaping (was Behringer Neutron)

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 03:39:11 CEST 2018

I've been wondering what the details are on these "waveshaper" things,
whether they're just mixing/panning between different waveshapes (say,
sawtooth and square), or if something nonlinear is going on or being
added.

I tossed together a four-stage wavefolder (talk about nonlinearity!)
not long ago, and was amazed at how a sine wave input made an output
that sounded a lot like a filter sweep, simply by varying the
amplitude of the input.

It was basically the bottom four stages in this schematic, and I
didn't even use the two diodes in the feedback path of the last stage:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wavefolder+schematic&num=50&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS747US747&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif4q-zxKnaAhWMuFMKHVOyCg4QsAQIJw&biw=1866&bih=1008#imgrc=8tdHHQFaBbewJM: