[sdiy] Why are 7-segment LED displays oblique?

blacet at blacet.com blacet at blacet.com
Sat Apr 7 17:06:47 CEST 2018

According to Wikipedia, aids readabiity. Some other interesting facts
here too... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-segment_display
-------- Original Message ---------- my guess is it's in order to have
the digits closer together and still fit the dot inbetween. think of
the dot! :) On 07/04/18 16:25, Mattias Rickardsson wrote: Hi, I was
looking through the supplies of small 7-segment LED displays recently,
and suddenly realised how the displayed digits are all slanted and how
uncommon it is to have them upright. We occasionally see upright LED
displays, but we're so used to slanted numbers that the upright ones
almost feel like they are slanted backwards. What's the historic
reason behind this in the optoelectronics industry? When did these
displays first appear in mass-market products, were they popularized
by some special kind of products or era that promoted this style? Why
oblique, why not upright - or, for that matter, italic? ;-) /mr
Synth-diy at synth-diy.org
Synth-diy at synth-diy.org