[sdiy] Why are 7-segment LED displays oblique?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Sat Apr 7 16:25:11 CEST 2018

Hi,

I was looking through the supplies of small 7-segment LED displays
recently, and suddenly realised how the displayed digits are all slanted
and how uncommon it is to have them upright. We occasionally see upright
LED displays, but we're so used to slanted numbers that the upright ones
almost feel like they are slanted backwards.

What's the historic reason behind this in the optoelectronics industry?
When did these displays first appear in mass-market products, were they
popularized by some special kind of products or era that promoted this
style?

Why oblique, why not upright - or, for that matter, italic? ;-)

/mr