[sdiy] TB303 / Polysix VCO current mirror thingy.

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri Apr 6 10:33:45 CEST 2018

> Is there any downside to this cheap-n-cheerful alternative, Richie?

Two that I can think of:

1. The trigger threshold of the thyristor has a temperature coefficient.
  So the trip point will vary significantly with temperature, whereas a
decent comparator combined with a precision voltage reference should do
much better in this regard.  (However, the AN299 paper that Neil
mentioned explains how this temperature coefficient was purposely used
to cancel out the approximately equal and opposite temp coef of a
particular type of capacitor used for the VCO integrator.  So I guess
the temp coef of the SCR is not always a downside!)   I suspect the
additional diode-connected transistor Q24 in the TB-303 schematic is an
attempt to compensate for the temperature coefficient of the Q25/Q27
thyristor in some way.

2. Thyristors (SCRs) have a holding current.  Once the thyristor fires
and starts to conduct, this is the value below which the current must
then fall before the thyristor un-latches and ceases conducting.  The
problem here is that the current from the expo current source must stay
below the holding current of the Thyristor.  Otherwise the Thyristor
will fire, and then the charging current from the expo current source
flowing through it will be sufficient to keep the thyristor latched
permanently.  This imposes a limit to the upper operating frequency with
a given integrator capacitor.  The TB-303's VCO simply stops oscillating
if you try to drive it much above it's designed pitch range using an
external CV.

Despite these potential disadvantages, I still think it's a neat bit of
cost engineering.  Clever Japanese :-)

-Richie,