[sdiy] Phase cancellation on waveforms other than sine?

John Ames commodorejohn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 08:37:30 CEST 2018

On 4/4/18, Michael Zacherl <sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info> wrote:
> picturing the complex (i.e. triangle) wave as a sum of sine waves might help
> here:
> I’d reckon the phase spectrum to be changing over the course of your phase
> shift
> while the amplitude spectrum of the two triangles might do what you’d expect
> when doing the experiment.
> The well-known pulse, triangle, saw etc. shapes only occur with the single
> sines having the same starting point in time in this sum.
> What do your ears tell you?
Yeah, that's kinda what I guessed might be going on, effectively the
different harmonics of the triangle are getting differing amounts of
phase-modulation compared to each other if I'm understanding it
correctly. Crazy what a difference that can make...as far as the sonic
test, the result is a rather pleasant PWM-ey kind of sound that might
be useful in its own right, but nothing at all like what would be
required for the triangle to be a transparent substitution for the
sine given the circumstances. Which leaves the question of how the
Synergy does it open still...definitely need to dive back into the
documentation here.