[sdiy] Guitar levels (slightly OT)

David Moylan dave at westphila.net
Wed Apr 4 14:18:38 CEST 2018

Kinda. I believe Varitone is a notch filter, while this Neutrik gizmo
seems to change the resonant frequency, probably just added caps in
parallel with the guitar output.  I've done the same thing on my
"experimental" guitar with a rotary switch to select from 12 different
caps wired in parallel with the pickups.  It's the same sound as rolling
the tone knob all the way down on a standard guitar, except that there
are more than one cap value available, so you can actually change the
resonant frequency.

I've got my humbuckers wired in parallel mode so they're naturally lower
impedance and brighter and the switch gives a wide variety of tones from
bright down to fixed-wah style.  More versatile than a tone knob I think.

Dave