[sdiy] CEM3320/V3320

Paul Perry pfperry at melbpc.org.au
Thu Sep 21 04:42:07 CEST 2017

The DIY community, and manufacturers, have wanted Curtis reissued for 20
years or more. All we ever heard was why this wasn't viable.
I'm no big fan of Behringer, but it's due to them that we now not only have the chip
accessible, but it's even dual sourced, making it useable for manufacturers.

What is very sad is that almost nobody is making any new interesting analog chips -
obviously it is quite possible to do so. (Reverse engineering takes 95% as much work as a
"new" chip - posibly more, as you have to exactly match fixed targets, even any original imperfections).

And I don't want to get into the patent/morality thing either, but note that the whole basis of the
patent system, is that when a patent expires anyone is free to use the technology - it's part of the
deal, in return for giving the inventor exclusivity in the first place.
Note also, it isn't just the original Curtis chips that can be made using those patents - it would be
possible to make plenty of other interesting & useful things. I certainly hope someone will!

paul perry Melbourne Australia -----