[sdiy] Walsh Functions/EN S-008

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Thu Sep 14 20:28:02 CEST 2017

Many moons ago I made a Walsh generator out of a CPLD. It quickly became
obvious that the coefficients bore no intuitive relation to the
resulting waveform. Add to that the requirement of bipolar VCAs
(apologies to Mr. Hutchens) and it quickly became a mess. Even with
tricks like digital inverters and diode VCAs, its still a mess.

Bottom line: I think additive synthesis makes way more sense.

--Timbo

On 9/14/2017 10:46 AM, Bernard Arthur Hutchins Jr wrote:

>  Tom said:

> " Isn’t the trouble with Walsh function synthesis that each
> coefficient controls a complex waveform with a whole fistful of
> harmonics? While it’s possible to carefully mix Walsh functions to get
> smooth-sounding waveforms by cancelling out higher harmonics, any
> minor tweak to the coefficient values is going to introduce large
> abrupt edges and significant high frequencies. That makes waveform
> morphing pretty much bound to go from A via buzziness to B.
>

> Basing things on sine waves is so much simpler in many ways, despite
> Walsh functions being much easier to generate.
>
> Tom "
>

> Exactly Tom. The simplest Walsh function is already a square wave, far
> from mellow.   The rest that make up a complete orthogonal set all
> have pulse-like autocorrelation functions and accordingly have a
> similar buzz.  No real variability in the mix. You have to WORK to get
> familiar waveshapes.
>

> At one point, (early 70's) Walsh functions were going to save the
> world. Lots of papers/conferences.  My copies of all these and much
> more was lost over the years at Cornell - or somewhere in unopened
> boxes. It was true that they WERE easier to generate.  (Compare a
> board with a few logic IC's with Hal Chamberlin's heroic Fourier
> series hardware of the time).  Microelectronics soon eclipsed the
> hardware advantage.
>

> As for Electronotes supplement S-008, a copy may surface.  I seem to
> recall it was a student report (one of which was me!).  Anything worth
> while is likely in the AES paper on the EN site.  Problem with
> promising to post it is I don't actually have a PDF or hard copy (only
> a 221M ZIP which I am unable to download).  Then, if I did post it,
> people would ask about S-001 through S-006 and S-009 through S-013.
> Sometimes things are discontinued to the advantage of all!  So the
> S-008 issue is quite analogous to the larger issue of posting
> old Electronotes. NOT easy and no serious offers of help.
>

> Bernie

--Tim Ressel
Circuit Abbey
timr at circuitabbey.com