[sdiy] pin headers on the wrong side of a PCB

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sat Sep 9 19:35:27 CEST 2017

I don’t have an Odyssey, but the Sequential Pro-One uses a DIP socket and a ribbon-to-DIP IDC plug to go into it to connect the keyboard to the panel PCB. It’s a right pain in the neck, since the socket is on the back of the PCB, which means it’s pointing down. Transporting the synth around often means the weight of the ribbon cable flapping about pulls the connector out of the socket. Mine got so bad I replaced the DIP socket with a new one, which gave it a little bit more grip, but it’s still a poor design decision. I’ve always been wary of this type of connection since.

The MTA-100 style connectors though - those I’ve never had a problem with, so I’d say go for it. Using SMD ones so you can put them on the trackside of the PCB is a great idea.

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY