[sdiy] pin headers on the wrong side of a PCB

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Sep 9 17:30:37 CEST 2017

I agree with you, Andre, but it seemed to work for ARP.  There are several
such connections inside my whiteface Odyssey, and they haven't fallen off
once in 44 years.  Of course, it is not at all clear how to reconnect them
if they are intentionally disconnected.

I'm going to get some of those surface-mount MTA-100 headers from TE
Connectivity and give them a try.  I'm just not completely clear how to
attach them securely to the PCB, since most of the pin is underneath the
housing, but I have a couple of ideas.  Extensive pre-tinning of the pads
should do the trick, but it will be interesting to see how it works with
headers of more than 3 pins or so.  I'll probably have to pre-tin just a
couple of pads, and then hope that the solder flows well on the remaining
pins.  I may drill a hole in the middle of each pad and feed small-gauge
solder through the hole from the non-solder side while heating the pin.
It's all an experiment.