[sdiy] Javascript Muse

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Thu Sep 7 23:32:15 CEST 2017

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 1:24 PM, philgallo <philgallo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Based upon the age of the Muse isn't it most likely RTL?

I think it's too complex for RTL.  And the designers are coming from an industrial computer background (the MIT AI Lab), not a hobbyist one.  And the traces for the chips driving the counter lines appear to match a 7474 dual D-flop.

I first heard about the Muse in the February 1971 issue of Popular Electronics.  Don Lancaster created his own low-budget version of the Muse called the Psyche-Tone.  And an inset in the article described the Muse.

Briefly, the Psyche-Tone had:
   a 6 stage shift register, 2 feedback options, XOR/XNOR switch
   3 12-position tap switches
   variable mixdown to drive an inexpensive VCO
   6 waveform options
   RTL logic

Popular Electronics, Feb 1971:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Poptronics/70s/1971/Poptronics-1971-02.pdf

And you can find the 1969 Motorola RTL data book here:
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/motorola/_dataBooks/1969_microElectronics/

So, you can build that!  Go for it!

I was 14-1/2 then, and was inspired to build my own even-lower-budget version of the Muse.  And that pretty much led me on my path to ruin.

  -- Don
--
Donald Tillman, Palo Alto, California
http://www.till.com