[sdiy] Panning with LM13700

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 11:48:40 CET 2017

Tom,  You might even consider doing the panning with analogue-switches as
"VCAs" driven directly from the PWM carrier signals, depending on your
requirements.  I normally hate the use of PWM'd analogue switches as VCAs
because of dynamic range limitations re small pulse lengths, resolution vs
carrier freq tradeoff etc, etc.  But for panning you don't really need much
dynamic range.  Once you're panning something strongly to one side it really
doesn't matter much perceptually whether the level in the opposite channel
is -40dB or it is completely off.  You will just perceive the sound as
coming at you from the side.  You only need a few specific attenuation
settings for each channel, especially if you're panning based on a 7-bit
MIDI CC value!

-Richie,