[sdiy] Eurorack Power Protection

Laurie elby_designs at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 3 22:40:44 CET 2017

All our modules incorporate filtering (we actually use ferrite beads in
place of resistors for improved performance).
We don't see any rational logic for needing diode protection (or any
other similar scheme) as we see this as a band-aid solution to the
problem that is as a result of a different issue which itself, if
corrected, would almost eliminate the problem in the first place.
And that is the matter of using boxed headers at both ends of the chain
(busboard and module). With boxed headers and 'technically correct'
power cables, it is impossible to reverse or mis-connect power cables.
In fact, the drawing you supplied is a prime example of a non-boxed
header! how can you tell? The pin numbers are WRONG for P3. Pins 1 & 2
on the IDC connector are -12V NOT pins 15 & 16!!!!!! If you use a
'proper' power cable and plug in to a boxed header on the busboard then
you are doomed!

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
Mobile: +61 0400 257 645