[sdiy] Eurorack Power Protection

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:02:22 CET 2017

I don't like the 10R resistors, because a power hungry module will cause
itself supply instability.  I've seen this on a couple of VCOs, for example.

I usually put PTC fuses in that position, and run the diodes, reverse
biased, to ground.  If you plug that in backwards, it trips the fuses
generally before bad things can happen further down the line.

I also don't usually put .1uF caps at the power inlet, I just use them to
bypass each chip's supply pin or pins.

I recommend using shrouded headers on a Euro module -- yes, bad cables can
still be plugged in backwards, but it's sufficient to allow me to safely
plug a known-good cable in without having to physically look at the place
I'm plugging in (say, inside my case).

Now I will sit back and allow myself to be schooled by the more experienced
about why what I'm doing is wrong :-D.

Pete