[sdiy] Eurorack Power Protection

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Tue Jan 3 21:56:57 CET 2017

That is pretty much what I do. Think about a Schottky diode instead of
the 4001. A BAT85 (PTH) or a SS14(SMT). They drop less voltage. I found
a 22uF bulk cap is the minimum for noise reduction. Remember the rails
in  Eurorack case can be noisy. 10 ohms is okay for a module that pulls
little current. I use 1 ohm.

--Timster

On 1/3/2017 12:41 PM, Jacob Watters wrote:
> Do you do anything to the power rails on your modules to filter the
> power and/or protect the module?
>
> Diodes? Caps? Resistors?
>
> Below is a link to one well protected module that was recommended to
> me. Note that the power source is the pins on P3 and the power rails
> are the local ones on the module (kind of confusing in this schematic
> - it looks like the diodes are backwards).
>
> I know that the diodes will cause a voltage drop that will limit the
> overhead for opamps. My module is a filter with an overdrive circuit
> that clips at +/-5V, so overhead isn't really a concern.
>
> http://jacobwatters.com/images/synth/europower.png
>

> Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Jacob Watters

--Tim Ressel
Circuit Abbey