[sdiy] Where to buy ceramic caps

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 30 10:38:59 CET 2017

So, after much cogitation, I'm thinking that I may just do this the other
way round.  Instead of trying to keep my resistances within a certain range
(around 30k) with all different capacitor values, I could use the same
capacitor value for all 12 stages.

If I used 10nF, then the resistances would range from about 374 ohms to
about 3.01M.  These values fall within the range where I could use one or
two standard 1% resistors to achieve the value within about 0.01% of the
target.  The advantage is that 10nF falls within the range of C0G caps,
which are standard 5% tolerance (and often significantly better).  Plus,
there is the added convenience of only having to deal with one value of
capacitor.  I could buy a pile of these (I can get them for 12 cents apiece
at my local shop) and sort them into groups.  This is a value that my DVM
reads quite accurately, so that's easy enough to do.

The beauty of this is that I can actually build it in different ways and try
them out.