[sdiy] Where to buy ceramic caps

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 30 08:59:17 CET 2017

This is the very first design (after almost 10 years of semi-professional
design activities) where I actually care about the accuracy of caps.  I
don't believe that cap tolerances are very important unless one is trying to
achieve a certain value of RC (or, in my current case, 12 values).  This is
probably pretty rare.  In critical circuits, the RC is going to be tuned
with a trimmer anyway, so the cap value doesn't matter too much (as long as
it isn't too far off).  I'm just trying to eliminate trimmers and
calibration, because tuning 12 allpass stages is a lot of labor, and takes a
lot of time, and trimmer settings can be screwed up by customers which is a
big pain in the ass for all involved.

This stupid thing is going to be a eurorack module in the not-too-distant
future, and all the parts will be SMD.  I presume that SMD multilayer caps
can be easily and cheaply acquired in any tolerance you like, but I don't
use SMD components in my own personal builds, because I cant see them, and I
drop them, and I wanna kill myself whenever I have to solder an SMD part by
hand.  I'd rather just not do electronics than work with SMD parts by hand.

What I need to do is find a big ol' stash of those lovely blue Epcos caps
with the very legible white markings that I used when I first started out in
DIY (because that's what I found in the storeroom at UBC's Electrical
Engineering department).  There must be millions of them sitting in
storerooms around the world, unused and unloved.