[sdiy] Where to buy ceramic caps

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 30 01:47:57 CET 2017

Hi Neil,

The values I want are:

151, 471, 102, 222, 472, 153, 333, 683, 154, 334, and 105.  All bog-standard
values.

The application is a 90-degree phase displacement network for a Bode-style
frequency shifter project.  Having reasonably precise values would allow me
to just build the damn thing, without calibration or measuring or other
labor-intensive practices.  I hate the fact that I can't rely on capacitor
values to be what they are advertised on the case.  I can buy 1% resistors,
so why not 1% capacitors?

Actually, the really nice blue Epcos ceramic caps I used to get from the
university are almost always within 1% of their stated values, while the
Kemet gold ones are almost never that close.  If I just used the Epcos ones
(which the university doesn't buy anymore, since they are no longer
available where they buy components) I'd be alright.  The phase displacement
requirements of a frequency shifter aren't really all that precise -- as
long as the Lissajous figure is reasonably circular, it will work just fine
and sound good.

Cheers,
Dave