[sdiy] Where to buy ceramic caps

ASSI Stromeko at NexGo.DE
Fri Dec 29 10:47:13 CET 2017

Am 29.12.2017 um 08:36 schrieb David G Dixon:
> I would like to buy some through-hole multilayer ceramic capacitors in a
> range of common values in 1% tolerance.  I'm coming up with dick on Digikey
> (all have 0 quantities and lead times of several months).

Why specifically multilayer ceramics?  You'd have much better luck
looking for film capacitors and they'd probably be a much better fit for
your purposes, too.  MLCC are mainly used for power supply bypassing
where ESR is a main concern as well as high capacitance-to-volume ratio.
  Due to the typically large temperature coefficient and voltage
dependency of their capacitance they're useless for most anything else.

> Have any of you bought such a thing, and if so, could you please tell me
> where?  Why are electronic components so damned hard to buy?

Maybe start with understanding why MLCC exist, what applications they
are targeted at and how they're constructed?

https://www.murata.com/products/emiconfun/capacitor/2011/06/28/en-20110628-p1
http://rohmfs.rohm.com/en/products/databook/applinote/ic/power/switching_regulator/cera_cap_appli-e.pdf

You'd then maybe notice that high volumetric density and leaded
components don't really come together and hence distributors don't stock
that sort of thing unless someone orders a truckload anyway.  Also, when
looking at the temperature, voltage and aging characteristics you'd
perhaps find that a 1% tolerance isn't something that makes sense to
specify, either.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)