[sdiy] Logic Analyzers

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 28 04:40:33 CET 2017

I got the Saleae Logic 16 (not the plus) quite a while ago and it was inexpensive. It does not have an elaborate/state machine triggering but if you know how to use it, it is still a powerful tool.

A lot of oscilloscopes have options to do various forms of bus decode too.

I'm familiar with the Tektronix MSO/MDO scopes that have those options. But the Tek scopes are expensive and the EMBEDDED (I2C, SPI), SERIAL (what most people call RS232) and AUDIO (I2S, TDM) keys are expensive also. They do give decent LA functionality with limited state machines to do more complex triggering and deep sample buffers. If I had lots of money I'd go that route since I know those instruments and can use them in my sleep.

You can get a cheap Chinese scope like the Rigols and unlock them to get access to their bus decode and triggering options. But if you do that you void the warranty.

Jay S