[sdiy] A different kind of polyphonic aftertouch

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Dec 16 06:30:23 CET 2017

A couple of things:

First, USB is not necessarily the best choice for musical applications. It’s not more responsive, although it does have more bandwidth than classic MIDI. If a MIDI “device” has nothing queued up yet for transmission, then a new event will have a latency of 0.32 ms, or as little as 0.032 ms, depending upon how the receiver handles timing. A USB Device can support a typical average latency of 0.5 ms, but that’s only when the USB Host is designed to guarantee such latency. It’s quite possible for a USB Host to postpone USB traffic for a given Device, such that there is no upper limit on latency until you get to about 10 ms.

If you’re willing to change over from classic MIDI to RTP-MIDI or any of the other modern transports, then you’re suddenly better than USB in basically all respects. Granted, the bandwidth limitations of classic MIDI are nothing to ignore, but we’re not necessarily stuck with only classic MIDI or USB-MIDI. Responsiveness is more than just bandwidth.

Second, I don’t think that a typewriter keyboard is the best ergonomics for music. The mechanical design of a musical instrument is potentially a huge issue that isn’t solved merely by the availability of raw sensors. Although the Wooting seems promising, adapting it to musical applications could prove to be an involved endeavor. The Eigen technology is similar, and has four optical sensors per key, allowing for side-to-side and front-to-back motion detection as well as simple downward pressure. I don’t think it would be easy to build an Eigenharp from Wooting keys.

That said, thanks for sharing. It’s certainly an interesting option, especially for folks who are already considering making their own musical controller.

Brian Willoughby